At the heart of the Vegan Wellington lies a thoughtful selection of plant-based ingredients that create a savory experience. While the traditional Wellington centers around beef or other meats, the vegan adaptation embraces ingredients like mushrooms, vegetables, legumes, and tofu as the main filling. These components not only mimic the texture and flavors of meat but also bring their unique profiles to the dish, resulting in a symphony of tastes that’s both familiar and innovative.
Let’s dive into this delightful recipe that’s perfect for special occasions or any day you’re craving comfort food without compromising your values.
For the Mushroom Mix:
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- Cook until dry
For the Nutty Pecan Mix:
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Mix and set aside
Soy Protein Filling:
- 1 cup soy chunks
- Hydrate and drain
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (remove excess water)
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Integrate ingredients
- Transfer to a blender
For the Beet Puree:
- 1/2 cooked beet
- Blend until smooth
- Puff pastry sheets
- Plant milk (for brushing)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
1. Preparing the Mushroom Mix:
- In a skillet, sauté the chopped onion, chopped mushrooms, and minced garlic until they become tender and fragrant.
- Season with salt, pepper, sage, thyme, and rosemary.
- Continue to cook until the mixture becomes dry. Set aside.
2. Creating the Nutty Pecan Mix:
- In a bowl, combine the chopped pecans and breadcrumbs. Mix well and set aside.
3. Preparing the Soy Protein Filling:
- Next, hydrate the soy chunks according to package instructions, then drain them well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the hydrated soy chunks, soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and tomato puree. Mix until well integrated.
4. Blending the Fillings:
- Transfer the soy protein filling mixture to a blender and blend until you achieve a coarse texture.
5. Making the Beet Puree:
- Then blend the cooked beet until it forms a smooth puree.
6. Assembling the Vegan Wellington:
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- On a clean surface, lay out the puff pastry sheets.
- Spread half of the prepared mushroom mix onto the puff pastry square.
- Next, spread the soy protein and beet mixture over the mushrooms.
- Layer the remaining sautéed mushrooms on top of the soy mixture.
- Carefully fold the puff pastry over the fillings, forming a rectangular package. Seal the edges.
7. Baking and Serving:
- Place the assembled Wellington on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the pastry with plant milk to give it a golden-brown finish.
- For added flair, sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the pastry is beautifully golden and crispy.
The combination of savory mushrooms, hearty soy protein, and the earthy essence of beets creates a harmonious blend of tastes that’s sure to impress both vegans and non-vegans alike. So whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply want to treat yourself to a gourmet meal, this vegan Wellington is here to satisfy your cravings!
Stay up to date with all of our announcements, other news stories, blog posts, and recipes by following Veggly across our social channels: